The 5th 'Annual' Lions Donation Drive!

Like TF2, only with different superstars. The Thunder to TF2's Nitro, if you will.

The 5th 'Annual' Lions Donation Drive!

Postby Atreus on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 am

General Information
Description
It's that time once again for the Annual TLD Donation Drive! Well, actually, it was 'time' about 6 months ago, but it kept getting put off due to one reason or another. At first, I just decided I wanted to wait until it was not so close to the winter Holidays, as people said last year that they were fresh out of moneys due to present-buying and the like. Since then, it's mostly just been a mixture of not feeling up to writing up the thread and running it and, when I did feel up to it, it completely slipping my mind.

The fact it's taken me so long to do the drive is not a good thing, either, as we are, funding-wise, the most in need of donations we've ever been. Rather than just being low on funds, we're actually at a point where I've been paying out of pocket the last few months, so that tells ya something :P As amazingly generous as people tend to be during the drives, we get 'normal' donations so rarely that I literally don't think we received more than one since the previous drive. There were actually a few people who asked when I'd be running the next drive, and I told those people (a) it would be soon, and that (b) they should feel free to donate it whenever they'd like, and I would include them in the listing once the thread was made and also in any raffles that were done. Despite that, a grand total of 0 of those people followed through :XD: So, that all said, here we are!

For anyone interested in details on the previous donation drives, you can check out the Fourth Donation Drive, Third Donation Drive, second Donation Drive, and/or the first Donation Drive!

Breakdown
If you're curious what types of things the donations have gone toward in the past, here's a brief rundown:
  • Necessities:
    • Server rent costs, software licenses such as TCAdmin (our server management control panel)
    • repairing stuff when things break
  • Server improvement:
    • Commissioning plugin authors to write/edit/improve plugins for us
    • Upgrading hardware, whether to make things run more smoothly or to allow us to host host more gameservers on the same machine we use now.
  • Emergencies:
    • When things break, we have to replace whatever it is that breaks, and being able to do so without first running another donation drive means we can get things going again sooner rather than later.

How to Donate
    The instructions are listed on our Donate page, which can be found by clicking this link, or the "Donate" link in the header of every page.

If possible, please send it manually through paypal to the address listed as a "Gift", as that will bypass paypal's fees, which means all of what you send reaches us without paypal taking a cut :)

Thanks to the Donors!
(up: 7/28/13)
I'm keeping an ongoing list of donors to give credit where credit's due. If you don't want yourself mentioned, please mention such. Additionally, I'll be including the donation amount per person by default, so if you don't want it mentioned, you'll need to tell me. The list is sorted chronologically, from oldest to newest. (EDIT: Also, unless otherwise specified, if you don't include your alias, I will use your first name and last initial so that you are identified in the list without me giving away your full name.)
  • Name (amount after fees)
  • Zarnmonster — $23.72
  • Jesse G. — $9.41
  • Robert R. — $19.12
  • Alsek — $23.97
  • Kinseti — $47.75!
  • Silly Slime — $48.99
  • twnty7 — $17.18
  • mootsie — $19.12
  • Teh Emo Penguin — $5.00
  • MusashiExtra — $18.92
  • RockyRaccoon — 2 Keys
  • Dr. Zombrero — $4.25
  • Revelude — $19.12
  • Anonymous Match of first 250 — $250
  • DestroAnt — $17.18
  • Jason S. — $4.55
  • ChaosxReaper — $20.00
  • RoboLeader — $23.97
  • Phunky Monkey — $28.83
  • Gee — $20
  • SkyWarp — $22.39
  • Soyaki — $19.13
  • mom — $48.25

Total so far, after fees: $710.85
I'm really hoping we can wind up with about the same amount as last year (~$1200), so if you were holding off on donating to find out how we were doing, please feel free to go ahead and do so.[/quote]
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams. Having arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place.
Atreus
>:3 Founder

Re: The 5th 'Annual' Lions Donation Drive!

Postby Atreus on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 am

Post reserved...

If you see anything above that could use improvement, please do let me know :) Anything from poor phrasing, to typos, to a formatting mistake or a tag that needs closing! It's all good
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams. Having arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place.
Atreus

Postby Atreus on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 am

Reserved, just in case I need it.
Atreus

Postby Atreus on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 am

ps. Feel free to reply if you've donated, so that I don't feel like I'm just talking to myself :XD:

To those who've sent stuff: I have received it, and you'll appear on the donor list as soon as I get a chance to update it :)

Also, I'm going to crosspost my response to a question asked by "Kittendo!" from the comments on the Steam Announcement real quick, because it was a very good question:
[TLF] Kittendo! wrote:you should also accept tf2 items ^u^
>:3 Atreus [YAC] wrote:
tl;dr for those who want the quick answer
I'm certainly not against that, it's just not something that's been offered to us in any of the previous drives
Longer Version
The thing about TF2 items (besides the fact that this is the first time someone's tried to offer any) is that they don't, generally speaking, pay server bills :X That said, if you had an item that you felt could:
  1. Sell for a fair amount of money straight up, or
  2. Be easily traded for the sorts of items one /can/ easily sell (eg Keys or Refined)
then I'd certainly be willing to make that work with you. Alternatively, you could be the one to directly sell / trade what you've got for refined/keys/etc and then send us the results :) Sound fair?
[TLF] Kittendo! wrote:I was talking more about heavy priced items; buds; unusuals; keys; anything of value... c:
>:3 Atreus [TLF] wrote:All of the things you mentioned as 'heavy' priced items (never heard that term before :o) would certainly be acceptable, whether you'd want to:
  1. send them directly,
  2. convert the things that aren't already in the more 'consistently' priced form of keys/buds/bills/ref/etc format (ie unusuals) to said consistently priced forms, or
  3. straight up sell 'em for casholas and then send the money
Obviously if you chose (a) or (b), I'd list it as the item that was sent until I'd feel up to going in-game to try to sell it, at which point it would then get a monetary value next to it on the donor list :)
Atreus

Postby Atreus on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:18 am

Updated the total again, added the donations/donors since the last update, and changed one person's name to their alias thanks to them PMing me with their identity
Atreus

Postby Atreus on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:42 am

Updated the donors, including someone who donated 2 keys. Speaking of which, if any of you are planning to buy any games on Steam at any point in the near future, please let me know.

Basically, since I'll be selling things like these keys on the community market, the only way to turn it into "real" money is to, say, buy steam games for people using the funds acquired, followed by having the person paypal me the money they would have otherwise spent on the game :)

RE: "Why doesn't he just sell them for PP to begin with?" — That'd mean selling to people who may do a chargeback, resulting in losing the money and ruining the reputation of my paypal account. This avoids that.
Atreus

Postby bret on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Im waiting for my first paycheck. I just started a new job.
bret
>:3 Member

Postby Robo_Leader on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:06 am

bret wrote:Im waiting for my first paycheck. I just started a new job.

Waiting on my second. I'll toss in a few dollars after I pay my bills.
ImageAAAAARRRRRGGGHGGGHHHHHHAAAAA
Robo_Leader

Postby Spartacus on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 am

What's the count at now?
Spartacus

Postby Atreus on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:56 am

I'll update the first post momentarily, one sec

edit: Done. We're at $528.28
Atreus

Postby Atreus on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:24 am

For those interested, I thought I'd crosspost this post from the Killing Floor thread-

Atreus wrote:Update: We now have a Killing Floor server. It's on the default port, and it's secured with a password that is currently (read: temporarily) being given out only by word of mouth. Once Zarnmonster finishes configuring everything that needs it, he will let me know and I'll start putting the server information, password and all, into the usual places such as the server list linked at the top of the forums

There has been a donation or two since the last update, which I'll try to put into the first post tomorrow, since I'm pretty wiped from a long day today capped off with getting the KF server running
Atreus

Postby Atreus on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:51 am

Post updated. New total: $572.25
Atreus

Postby Atreus on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:24 am

Donation list updated :o Total: $601.08
Atreus

Postby meant2live218 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:24 pm

I... I'm going to try to donate. Probably won't happen til after the drive is over, though :( Money's a bit tight, but I still love y'all.
You can't just shout "Fire! Fire! Fire!" What if someone thinks there's an actual fire? This is a drill, say something else.

"Erif! Erif! Erif!"
meant2live218

Postby Atreus on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:17 am

I'll be updating the totals tonight. There are a few to add :> Nevermind, I went ahead and updated it now instead.

New total: $710.85
Atreus

Return to General